Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cross the Plains

It was finally time for us the PACK UP and leave Iowa. My mom and Randy's dad came to help us with everything and we are SOOO glad they did! I know everyone says you don't realize how much work moving is until you have to do it - but it is TRUE. I had a good excuse to get out of the heavy lifting, with the pregnant belly and all, but to clean EVERYTHING was such a big deal by itself.
Here are the kids with the last few items right before we left our empty house:

Randy and his Dad drove the biggest Penske truck available with a car in tow. You will have to ask Randy how he almost took out a few parked cars in California. Glad I wasn't them:

The kids, my Mom, and I left the next morning at a LEISURELY pace to travel to southern Utah. Our first stop was the Omaha Zoo.

We drove about 7-8 hours for 3 days, stopping at parks and hotels along the way - for the kids' sanity (and mine). And then a LOT of breaks for stretching. We made it to my parents' house in southern Utah just in time for the 4th of July. We enjoyed an awesome fireworks display off the porch, compliments of my brother Paul and his wife Natalia. Caroline was NOT a fan of the noise, but liked the lights.

Meanwhile, Randy and his Dad drove to California, moved ALL of our furniture in to our house, set EVERYTHING up (even tried to organize the kitchen). Randy studied and took his Board Exam, then they drove to southern Utah to see us. Randy was in need of R&R, so they took off on the motorcycles!

And we hiked Red Cliffs:

Feeling a bit recovered, we joined my family and cousins at the Renaissance Fair. Cooper and Tyler had fun beating each other with foam swords and running around the park with the other cousins.
I think they're talking "strategy" here.

Cindy and I wore dresses compliments of my Mom's amazing sewing ability.

Enough of the fair, time to go fishing at Kids Pond up Cedar Canyon.
Anybody need a worm?

Then to northern Utah to visit more cousins!

And what vacation would be complete without a little mountain biking. Neither Greg nor Randy had been for a while, so when I dropped them off at the top of the canyon I figured I should take a picture in case the police needed a recent photo - just kidding boys (kind of).

And one more picture with the Grey cousins before we head to California!
 I found that you can bribe a kid to do anything for an ICEE.

1 comment:

heidijogoody said...

I am sure it was such a pain to pack everything up and move I can't imagine doing it. It sounds like you and your kids and your mom had a fun time while getting to your new destination though. your mom did a great job on those dresses I thought they looked great